Monday, June 1, 2009

Roanoke Island- Henry.

On Wednesday, there was a forecast for rain, so we decided to head down to Roanoke Island to check out the North Carolina Aquarium.
Evie, Annalise, and I wrestled this alligator to the ground. Aunt Jenni thinks it was just shocked by my cool overalls, dark socks and shoes, and my neon "large crowd" shirt that mama always dressed me in when there's a chance I'll be surrounded by 500 school kids.


June loved the aquarium, which had many displays suitable for a one year old.

Uncle Kevin and Aunt Elizabeth rented a jeep and took Natalie and Oliver out to spot wild horses on the beach. That meant Tessa came with us. We almost noticed her once or twice when she wasn't sleeping or sitting quietly.

The weather held out, so we went to Roanoke Island Festival Park. There we got to see a life size replica of the Elizabeth II, the vessel that brought the first Europeans over in 1582.
Mama was shocked that 55 people fit in that tiny ship and promised not to complain about her 4,000 square foot vacation house.

Grandpa enjoyed the views while the crew members shot their cannon at the Spanish who were chasing them.

After we got off the ship, we headed over to the historic settlement for some old timey fun and games. I wish mama had taken a picture of the pretty lady blacksmith who made me a nail. Papa was happy that I appreciated the historic village and I know that I just doomed myself to a childhood of vacations that only involve Civil War Battlefields.

Afterwards we stopped for custard. June got the bottom half of mama's cone. We took off her white shirt as a precaution.

Good thing we did. Despite the fact that June spent all week eating ice cream, she has now made the transition from recreational walker to full time walker. It's more fun to eat a cone when you're walking through a parking lot.

I got my own cone too, and papa was impressed at how few drips there were. What can I say, it's in my blood.

No comments: